Hope you enjoyed your summer 🙂 As we are in the last stretch of 2018, I would like for you to take inventory on how far you are with the goals you set yourself to accomplish this year.
According to the statistics, only 8% of New Year’s resolutions are achieved. Wow, that leaves us with a majority of 92% who do not! If you find yourself in the majority who did not fulfill their set goals, please do not feel bad about it. There is still time to make a change and I will show you how.
The good news is there is a right way to set goals to successfully achieve them. In the issue of November 1981 of the Management Review, George T. Doran presented the SMART Goals Method. The article entitled “There’s a S.M.A.R.T. Way to Write Management’s Goals and Objectives,” discussed the difficulty and importance of setting objectives. I will even go further and set S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goals.
SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely. I am adding Evaluate, Re-adjust.
So let’s dive into how it work. Let’s say you want to set a goal for your finances, because you feel unsatisfied with never having enough money to be able to do something special.
- Specific: define the goal as much as possible. I want to save money this year.
- Measurable: How much money do you want to save? Let’s say $1,200.00.
- Achievable: Is this goal reasonable enough? Yes. How so? I can save each week/month.
- Relevant: Is this goal worthwhile? Absolutely. Will it meet my needs? Yes, I desperately need a getaway.
- Timely: By when will you have the $1,200.00 saved? 12 month from today.
- Evaluate: Weekly, revisit the goal to make sure you stick to it by saving $25.00. I know it can be tempting to use this money for something else. To help you, put a picture of your dream getaway next to the goal. This will fuel your desire to continue to be faithful.
- Re-Adjust: Try different approaches until you find what gets you closer to the finish line.
Now I hope you have an idea on how to set a goal the right way. I encourage you to revisit your New Year’s resolutions and see which goal is relevant to your deep desire and start working it into the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Model to become successful in achieving it.
As my gift to you, download the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Model tool. Print it and keep it in your journal/planner as a guide for future goals.
Don’t wait, start today.
“Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity,
but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty” -Proverb 21:5
“The person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
To your success,
Your friend Corinne 🙂
**Please leave us a comment below and if you like what you read share it with your friends 🙂